DEFendal™ Diesel Exhaust Fluid is a DEF product that is comprised of 2 major components; urea and Deionized water (DI). Urea is an organic compound with the chemical formula (NH2)2CO. Urea has common uses in fertilizer, agriculture, and the pharmaceutical industry. Urea is used at a 32.5 % mixture with 67.5% DI water in DEFendal™ Diesel Exhaust Fluid in Selective Catalytic Reduction Systems (SCR). The fluid is in used to reduce the NOx pollutants, in exhaust gases from combustion from diesel, dual fuel, and lean-burn natural gas engines. In afore mentioned SCR systems; a water based urea solution is injected into the exhaust system. The ammonia produced by the hydrolysis of urea reacts with the NOx emissions and is converted into nitrogen and water within the catalytic converter.
Some quick facts regarding urea based DEFendal™ Diesel Exhaust Fluid DEF Product :
- DEF (Urea Fluids) is a stable fluid that will not separate, and is colorless
- DEF is not flammable
- DEF (Urea Fluids) is not a pollutant
- DEF is not listed by any U.S. or Canadian transit authority as a hazardous material
- DEF (Urea Fluids) is not impacted by freezing and subsequent defrosting. However it does freeze at 11°F. The heating and cooling system on board is used to thaw the fluid
- DEF will degrade in direct sunlight
- DEF may have a slight odor similar to ammonia
- DEF (Urea Fluids) weighs 9.10 lbs per gallon and is shipped Class 14 an “Environmentally friendly fluid”
ABOUT Urea Fluids
What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid (and Urea Fluids)?
You are probably reading this page because you recently bought a new 2010 truck or are thinking about buying one and want to learn about SCR, and have more than a few questions about Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a harmless and safe-to-handle solution of urea in water - about a third urea to two thirds water - that is required by many new diesel trucks and buses equipped with an exhaust emissions control technology known as selective catalytic reduction (SCR). Some agricultural, construction and forestry equipment will soon need Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) too.
Where can I get it?
The simplest way to buy Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is to contact one of the many Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) suppliers active in your region, and arrange for delivery of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to your truckyard. The Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) can be delivered in a variety of packages or refillable bulk dispensing systems, meaning that you can buy Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) and secure your supply in a way that suits your operating practises, fleet size and average time on the road.